Wednesday 12 September 2012

Bookworm Series no. 1

End-of-Summer Book Haul


Recently I went to my favorite bookstore and picked up several great books. 


First book I picked is Matched by Ally Condie. 

"On her seventeenth birthday, Cassia meets her match. Society dictates he is her perfect  partner for life. Except he's not. In Cassia's society, Officials decide who people love. How many children they have. Where they work. When they die. But, as Cassia finds herself falling in love with another boy, she is determined to make some choices of her own. And that's when her whole world begins to unravel..."



I also picked its sequel, Crossed










I loved The Time Traveler's Wife, so I decided to buy another book by Audrey Niffenegger, Her Fearful Symmetry.

The story starts with the death of Elspeth Noblin, who decides to leave her beautiful flat overlooking Highgate Cemetary to her twin nieces, Julia and Valentina Poole, on the condition that their mother never steps into it. But, the curious thing is that the twins have never even knew their ant existed. Hoping to start their own, separate lives in London, the sisters start unraveling the secrets of their aunt, who doesn't seem quite willing to leave her flat even after death. It is a ghost story about love, loss and identity.


And last, but not least, I bought Delirium by Lauren Oliver and I am really looking forward to reading it as I heard awesome reviews.

Again, a dystopian society where people believe love is a disease and needs to be cured. As the back cover of the book brilliantly puts it: "There was a time when love was the most important thing in the world. People would go to the end of the earth to find it. They would tell lies for it. Even kill for it. Then, at last, they found the cure". And the cure is an operation that leaves you incapable of feeling any kind of love. And the protagonist is looking forward to being cured, and thus safe from this terrible disease... until she finds herself falling in love.



And I also borrowed several books from the library:
Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick and its sequel Crescendo

Hush, Hush brings the story of a high school girl, Nora Grey, who never really thought much about dating until Patch came along. He's dark, dangerous and mysterious and Nora's strongly drawn to him against her better judgement. But after a series of terrifying encounters, she is not sure if she can trust him. He seems to be everywhere, and to know everything about her and her friends. When she finally tries to seek answers, she finds herself right in the middle of a centuries-old battle between the immortal and the fallen ... and she has to take sides.



















And another dystopian themed novel, Unwind by Neal Shusterman. This sounds like a really good, though a bit disturbing and thought-provoking read. In a society in which unwanted teens are salvaged for their body parts, three runaways decide to fight the system that would "unwind" them. They have to survive until their eighteenth birthday, when they can no longer be harmed.











Have you read any of these books? How did you like them? Share in the comments below :)

xoxo,
Iskra

2 comments:

  1. I'm jealous. I need to go book shopping as well. So many good titles to get a hand on.

    Wish & Wear

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit i'm a TOTAL book nerd! Haha and I've read practiccly all of these books! And I must say you have very good taste!(: haha I thought Matched was amazing but Crossed kinda sucked.And Unwind is one of my all time favorite books! I loved it so much I read it in one day and couldn't put it down!

    Check out my blog!(: It's all about my life, advice, fashion, and beauty ect.(: http://foreversummer22.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete