A Few Tips on How To Grow Your Hair Healthy
Long hair or short hair; blonde, red or brunette - it doesn't really matter, as long as your hair is clean and healthy. There are many things that can affect our hair in a negative way, but there are also several tips we can follow in order to protect it and grow it healthy. Here are just a few that I have personally tried and have seen great results so far. Just as a side note, I have naturally curly, and thus very dry hair.
1. This trick really works- tie your hair in a bun or a pony tail when you go to sleep. That way your hair won't get all tangled up and it will prevent the hairs rubbing on the pillow.
2. Find a suitable shampoo and conditioner for your hair type and opt for a more natural, or even Sodium Lauryl Sulfate / Sodium Laureth Sulfate - free version. The mentioned ingredients dry both your hair and scalp and can cause allergies and irritations.
3. Nourish your hair with a weekly treatment. It can be a homemade mask or a treatment from a drug store, but find something natural to condition your hair with on a weekly basis. Besides the all-natural DIY masks (several recipes here), I love the Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque - it nourishes your hair leaving it with a rich and gorgeous scent.
4. Drink lots of water! It would be optimal to drink half of your body weight in ounces of water throughout each day. (Eg.: 140 pounds = 70 ounces of water)
5. Food matters! "We are what we eat" and nutrients that feed our body also influence the health of our hair. Good diet will benefit your body, skin, nails, hair and overall performance. Try to eat 4 - 6 smaller meals throughout the day, incorporating a lot of raw veggies and fruit and avoiding any artificial sweeteners and sodas.
6. Supplements can also help grow your hair healthier. You should always consult your doctor regarding which supplements to take, but from my personal experience, Omega 3 is great both for skin and hair.
7. This goes hand in hand with the first tip - invest in a silk pillow case. Not only is it good for your hair (it prevents frizz and hair breakage), but it is also believed that it doesn't encourage the formation of fine lines and wrinkles as much as other materials.
8. Avoid washing your hair every day. It is hard not to do this if you have extremely oily hair, but by washing it every day, you are both drying your scalp and damaging your hair. By washing your hair every day, the oils are stripped off too quickly and thus can appear in even bigger amounts to make up for the previous loss. Giving it at least one day of rest in between the washes, your hair will soon adapt to this new regime and won't be as greasy.
9. It is true that combing your hair directly after the shower is more likely to damage it, but personally, that's the only time I can actually comb my hair since it's curly. In order to protect it, always use a wide tooth comb (a wooden one, preferably) and comb your hair gently (first dealing with the tangled lover part, and than moving on to the rest). Also, apply a leave - in conditioner before combing your hair.
10. Try to air dry your hair and use a heat protectant when applying heat to it.
11. Trim your hair every few months to get rid of the split ends.
Hope this helps :)